The following guide suggests a steps for writing a paper review. The structure should include the following
- Summarize the paper
- State the contributions (what they are , what was missed)
- Novelity: Whats new , related work missed , related work invalidates the contribution
- Make it constructive : "paper would be stronger if it does so and so"
- Criticize the paper, not the work itself
- Avoid flat assertions: "The description left me worried" rather than "not correct"
- Its OK to be humorous
Writing reviews for systems conferences (March 2007) by Timothy Roscoe